Blog Total Visitors

Monday, February 21, 2011

Pad Thai

Pad Thai

Once I realized how cheap and easy it is to make Pad Thai, I have a hard time paying $15 at a restaurant. Plus I like to make substitutions of course like Organic free-range eggs, organic vegetables, and using agave instead of refined white sugar or palm sugar which is the way it is traditionally sweetened.

Start with rice noodles of your choice, almost every grocery store carries them now. I get mine far less expensively at my Asian store which also has a huge variety of sizes and even square rice noodles:)

Soak noodles in hot filtered water as directed on packaging. Different noodles have different soaking times.

Saute garlic and alittle ginger in peanut oil until golden, add Gardein chick-un or tofu or whatever protein you like, saute, add shredded carrots and celery and lightly saute.

I double the sauce in all of my thai favorites because I like it less dry, up to you. I use Nama Shoyu instead of soy sauce but you can use light soy sauce, tamari or fish sauce, agave nectar and lemon juice or if you want more authentic flavor, try tamarind pulp. Add of course, chilis or chili paste according to your desired heat level...I put all these in the blender and blend on high to make it nice and emulsion like.

Add sauce and noodles and stir fry until noodles are soft but make sure not to overcook them or else they turn to mush.

I add sliced napa cabbage, green onions and mung bean sprouts raw and toss in the heated mixture so they barely get cooked, just warmed.

You can stir fry some eggs and put in if you like, some times I put in raw cashews, mushrooms, basically any vegetable you like is good. The more the better. A touch of salt and white pepper, cayenne is so inclined. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment