Blog Total Visitors

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tempeh Creole in Parantha Wrap with Pea Shoots


Tempeh is a great alternative to meat and to tofu. Tempeh is a fermented bean and grain product that is available in stores but I only recommend Artie's from Gainesville. Artie's got it going on in the tempeh world. Most of the stuff you buy at Publix or Whole Foods, in my humble opinion is way too processed. I like the whole beans, and I like variety.

I am trying to start making my own tempeh because I have read that you can use any kind of bean, and I actually have tried Kidney Bean tempeh from Gainesville and I don't understand why people aren't making black bean, black eyed pea, lentil etc. They only use soybeans??

This recipe is a colloborative piece. Conscious Chef Tal Ronnens book has the creole recipe, marinated tempeh in tamari, ginger, kombu seaweed and oil and lots of veggies like onions, carrots, celery and peppers....

I used for the wrap a Malayasian Bread called Paratha. It is excellent and really holds much better than a tortilla.

I also used fresh pea shoots which are outstanding, I saw them recently for sale at the co-op grocery store on Anastacia Island, but I grow them in my automatic sprouting machine.

2 comments:

  1. Looks phenomenal! And thanks for the tempeh lesson. I didn't realize there were options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempeh for EVER!!!! I can't wait to start making it!! It will be fun.... This dish is perfect for the avid meat eater that doesn't feel "full" or "satisfied" unless it has it's meat... well, a good portion of this dish will do the trick...

    ReplyDelete